6000 years ago, the area around Cham was already populated. In 858 A.D. King Ludwig the German donated the Court “Chama” to the of the Fraumuenster Monastery in Zurich.
In 1360 Cham received the city rights. The bear has been the heraldic animal of Cham since 1608.
The Wakker Prize for the meaningful handling of the building fabric, the green and traffic areas was awarded to the city of Cham in 1991.
Cham is one of four communities in Switzerland that holds the European Energy Award Gold award. This was awarded to the community in 2004.