Güttingen was first mentioned in 799 AD and was transferred to the monastery of St Gallen in 883 AD. Between 1159 and 1357 AD, the Barons of Güttingen played an important role since they were in close contact with the episcopal Bishopric of Constance and the monasteries of St. Gallen, Salem and Katharinental. Güttingen also has a centuries-old shipping tradition. Even today, barges are unloaded at the freight port and sometimes passenger ships are landed for further transport to other waterways. Display boards provide information about what is happening in and around the port. The shared church dates back to the Middle Ages. The castles of Güttingen and Moosburg are set by the lake. The nobles of Güttingen occupied important positions such as that of the Bishop of Chur and acted as abbots at the monastery of St. Gallen.